Monday, August 03, 2009

All Songs Considered Poll: Best Songs of the Year So Far (2009)

All Songs Considered on NPR did a listeners poll about their favorite songs of the year 2009 so far. If you want to read the actual All Songs Considered Blog, go here: ALL SONGS CONSIDERED BLOG!

In any event, the list turned out to be pretty in line with my opinion. As the woman on All Things Considered pointed out, the list may be a little skewed by the tendency of young white hip people to be the main demographic that follows All Songs Considered, despite the diverse music featured on the show. But that said, most of the songs are really good. In fact, two of them I've featured on this blog before (those are italicized) I've reposted the list here and bolded and/or featured some of my favorites. To also read their list of the top albums of 2009 so far, go to their blog.

1. My Girls - Animal Collective
2. Two Weeks - Grizzly Bear video
3. Blood Bank - Bon Iver video
4. The Rake's Song - The Decemberists video
5. Lisztomania - Phoenix

6. Zero - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
7. This Tornado Loves You - Neko Case video
8. Sleepyhead - Passion Pit

9. Laughing With - Regina Spektor

10. The Wanting Comes In Waves/Repaid - The Decemberists
11. Train Song - Feist and Ben Gibbard
12. Knotty Pine - David Byrne & Dirty Projectors
13. Daniel - Bat For Lashes

14. Summertime Clothes - Animal Collective
15. One Wing - Wilco
16. The Fear - Lily Allen
17. Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeahs video
18. Wilco (The Song) - Wilco
19. Stillness Is The Move - Dirty Projectors
20. Help, I'm Alive - Metric video
21. Anonanimal - Andrew Bird video
22. On No - Andrew Bird
23. No You Girls - Franz Ferdinand video
24. I And Love And You - The Avett Brothers
25. French Navy - Camera Obscura

26. Magpie to the Morning - Neko Case
27. Woods - Bon Iver
28. Black Hearted Love - PJ Harvey and John Parish
29. While You Wait For The Others - Grizzly Bear
30. Panic Switch - Silversun Pickups


I think my only surprise is that my favorite on Neko Case's new album, "People Got A Lotta Nerve" didn't quite make the cut. That's one I would have definitely put on there.

2 comments:

Emily S said...

Wow. I feel lame because I have never heard of any of these. I need to get out more :)

Katie K said...

I really like the regina spektor one and "No You Girls." I will check out the Neko Case...

Any chance you have some of these songs and could make another masterful Lacey <3's Katie mix? I do so love the two volumes I already have. :)

I rather enjoy your blog. Is there a way to subscribe so it's sent right to my inbox?

LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU! Alles liebe!