Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Book Review: Killing Yourself To Live by Chuck Klosterman



If my enjoyment of a book can be measured in reading speed, this is one of the most enjoyable books I've read in a long time. I simply couldn't put it down.

Now, I may be biased. I think Chuck Klosterman is totally likeable because I think, more than most people I read, he thinks like I think. And I think a lot of people have this private thought when they're reading him. Here is this nerdy guy who throws around pop culture references like sprinkles on the cupcake of his own self-deprecating over-analyzing sadness. And frankly, I think we all feel that way sometimes.

But I can also see how other people might not like Klosterman. And the book isn't perfect. It moves around a lot, inserts references that aren't always clear, but thats part of its charm. Its like Klosterman wrote a particularly funny diary for us about this road trip he went on and reading it made everyone feel a little better about the times they can be a little self-absorbed or monomaniacal or just plain bad at communication.

Klosterman is a reflection of all of us at our most earnest and sometimes most awkward.

Now, this book is ostensibly about rock star death but I really think its about the death of one's self throughout life. How certain chapters have to be closed in order for new one's to be started. On this theme, Klosterman is poignant and heartfelt, in his own way, and it really is what makes the book so worthwhile.

This book, as well as Klosterman in general, comes highly recommended. And when you read it, and fall in love with it, be sure to feel super envious of my autographed copy.

This review was reposted and expanded from my review at Good Reads. Oh, you love reading and reviewing books, too? Join! We can be friends!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Since you mentioned Klosterman two years ago, I have been meaning to read something by him. This is a reminder. Thank you for writing an interesting review, and one that convinces me to get my act together and READ!

Lacey! said...

Glad to hear I've done some convincing! Who is this, by the by? It says your profile is locked so I can't check, haha.

Unknown said...

It's Sarah. Not sure why I become "Architecture" when I post. I would think at the very least it would say "Architektur". Maybe sometime I will figure that out.

Up for a pop cultural reading of Bowie in Berlin auf Deutsch? I recommend Helden by Tobias RĂ¼ther.