Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Feature I'm Considering? Ten Songs On A Thought

So you know how cool blogs with lots of comment happy fans usually find some resourceful way to create common features? I tried the haiku polls, not sure I'll keep up with them since no one was cool enough to submit answers (if they're wanted, I demand that readers express demand!), but I thought I'd try this idea here. It's sort of like a mixtape. Sort of, I guess.

Basically, I'll present a thought or theme for the ten songs, and suggest the first ten songs that come to mind for that theme. There doesn't have to be any rhyme or reason to why the songs come to mind, they just do. I want to toy with the idea that music can provide a sort of sense memory or thematic element that isnt always present in the music itself. I then encourage you, the blog reader, to present your own ten. It's fun!

Ten Songs On A Thought
Songs That Feel Like Sweater Weather

  1. White Winter Hymnal - Fleet Foxes
  2. Blacking Out The Friction - Death Cab For Cutie
  3. The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us! - Sufjan Stevens
  4. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - The Smiths
  5. Us - Regina Spektor
  6. No Surprises - Radiohead
  7. The Dream Of Evan and Chan - Dntel
  8. Crutch - Pinback
  9. Blood Bank - Bon Iver
  10. Oh, Comely - Neutral Milk Hotel

So what are your ten?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, how can you not have
1.the sweater song - weezer
2.california dreamin - mamas and papas
3.rocky raccoon - the beatles
4.Hell Yes - Beck
5.just about any books song. they're really a sweater band
6.any Cardigans song, too :P
7.the wind - cat stevens
8.in the cold cold night - the white stripes
9.the cold part - modest mouse
10.Point Me in the Direction of Albuquerque - the partridge family

If these are way off it is because i don't wear sweaters. I just sort of thinking of walking down a cold alley while wearing them in my head and what songs might be playing.

Ruliann said...

1. Cabin Fever - Casey Dienel
2. Autumn Sweater - Yo La Tengo
3. Winter - Tori Amos
4. Roads - Portishead
5. Prenzlauerberg - Beirut
6. Neighborhood 1 (Tunnels) - Arcade Fire
7. Desired Constellation - Bjork
8. The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine - Spoon
9. Inside and Out - Feist (BeeGees cover)
10. Boy with a Coin - Iron and Wine

Aw man, I think I have to relisten to Funeral now, that is soooo sweater weather.